ARA Institute Canterbury
ARA have been a long-term Client of MMC, we have been engaged to two major projects for the Christchurch campus: the student accommodation fibre networking and the Kahukura building data networking.
The student accommodation project required a design and build of the ARA fibre network to two new buildings of student flats and extend the network to two existing buildings.
For the Kahukura building building, worked closely with the the Hawkins Construction company to ensure our target was achieved.
The student accommodation fibre networking project started in early October 2016 with completion date on 25th January 2017.
For the Kahukura Building data networking project, the MultiMedia Communications team began working in February 2016 and was successfully completed on time and on budget in November 2016.
meters of fibre blown
fibres spliced & connected
meters of cables
The Kahukura Building Data Networking Project:
We installed over 700 x outlets over 3 x floors across 6 x communications rooms, we also installed a completed the ARA fibre ring with Air Blown Fibre.
The Student Accommodation Fibre Networking Project:
- Managing a drill shot under St Asaph St to the new building, and insure the follow all ARA and MMC H&S requirements including TMP’s and SSSP’s
- Haul new fibre feed cabling from the main campus, under the road, to the new building via the new duct
- Install backbone cabling within all 4 buildings, including Cabinets, Splice Points and Tube Management Boxes
- Complete civil trenching to extend the network to existing buildings, including trenching, and reinstating of concrete paths with the help of our sister company, Armitage Contracting Ltd.
- Blow, Splice and Test all fibre links, including feed to the main campus
- MMC had an “Anti-Shelf” designed and manufactured to be installed above the exposed cabinets, to prevent people placing food or drinks on top
- Installed structured data cabling and WiFi Access Points throughout the buildings, with the help of our Data department
This was a very challenging build from the very start but was a highly rewarding project that MMC completed on time and on budget.